Chocolate Marshmallow Surprise Cookies

"The best kind of prize is a surprise!" Can anyone guess from which book-turned-movie this quote is? Hint: It has to do with chocolate ... No? The answer is 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory', one of my favorite books as a child. The cookies I baked today also involve a surprise and chocolate; they're chocolate cookies with a chocolate topping and a marshmallow surprise.


Chocolate Marshmallow Surprise Cookies


I never liked chocolate cookies before I started baking them myself. When you make them from scratch, the chocolate seems more intense and flavorful, plus it's really delicious to eat them when they're still warm. These cookies were lovely. The marshmallow surprise and chocolate topping sets them apart from the countless of other chocolate cookie recipes I've tried. Rating: 4 out of 5.



Surprise Cookies: Martha Stewart - Cookies

Ingredients: Makes 2 dozen
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 12 large marshmallows, cut in half horizontally

- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons (¼ stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- ⅛ cup cocoa powder
- ⅛ cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Instructions:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg, milk, and vanilla, and beat until well combined. Add reserved flour mixture; mix on low speed until combined.
- Using a tablespoon or 1 ¾-inch ice cream scoop, drop dough onto ungreased baking sheets, about 2 inches apart. Bake until cookies begin to spread and become firm, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove baking sheets from oven, and place a marshmallow, cut-side down, in the center of each cookie, pressing down slightly. Return to oven, and continue baking until marshmallows begins to melt, 2 to 2 ½ minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- To make frosting: place confectioners' sugar in a medium bowl. Whisk in butter and cocoa powder. Add milk and vanilla, and whisk until well combined.
- Spread about 1 tablespoon of frosting over each marshmallow, starting in the center and continuing outward until marshmallow is covered.


As if the cookies weren't chewy enough, the marshmallow surpise and
chocolate frosting made them that much chewier!

DSC01776

Comments

Wow, I would love to have such a surprise in my cookie. :)
And the topping looks so delish..
Also the cookie himself - He looks so chocolatey. (Can I say this? :D -My English isn't the best ;))
But; Je l'aime. Vraiment..
Lovely regards,

xx, Jana from petit fournil de paris

PS.: Thank so much for your comment. I'm so honoured. :)
Unknown said…
These look amazing! So yummy and really pretty too x
Eden Angel said…
These look absolutely delicious! I can't stop staring at them.
Good job as always! x
A Bowl Of Mush said…
Oh wow! These look amazing!!
Danielle said…
I love the idea of biting into a marshmallow surprise. These look really good!
Unknown said…
mmm those cookies look like little round brownies, yum! and i love the charlie and the chocolate facotry reference. i absolutely love that movie!
SteelCityFlan said…
Mmm, they sound wonderful and soft and gooey :) Delicious!
These look ridiuclously delicious. I love that movie/book so much!! Unforunately I do not remember that line too well; I must rent out the movie and watch it again :)
Victoria said…
chocolate will always have my heart..they look delicious! xx
Lucie said…
Great photos! These cookies look perfectly chewy :)
Lian said…
ze zien er zooooo lekker uit. jammie!! ben ook zo toe aan een recept met chocolade!!
Yum! Printing this recipe off! I love anything made with cocoa ... I love the cocoa flavor even better than actual baking or semi-sweet chocolate. And mixed with cinnamon, as in some recipes that I have, it is marveous! these cookies are too delicious looking and I'll be trying them soon! Thanks! xo
Eliana said…
I am right there with you. I never really liked chocolate until I started baking with it at home. From scratch is so much better and these cookies look perfect to me!
These look awesome. Love food with little (good) surprises :).
Jamie said…
Ohhh...I want! Chocolate and marshmallow is my heart's delight! Fabulous!

Popular Posts