Neapolitan Cake

I've been wanting to make this cake for a couple of weeks, but my Valentine's Day ideas were my priority. So I made this beautiful neapolitan cake this morning. I've always wanted to know how the 3 flavors would taste together (pretty good!). The cakes are store-bought box mixes, of course. Too much work to also make 3 cakes from scratch. The icing in between is a buttercream icing and the topping a meringue icing. My inspiration for this cake was a Neiman Marcus neapolitan cake I saw on their website.

Buttercream Icing recipe:

Ingredients: (normally I halve this recipe, but it wasn't enough so I had to make another batch, here is the doubled recipe)
- 2 cups confectionars' sugar
- 1/3 softened unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk

Instructions:
- Put all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix with and electric mixer until everything is well blended. Add more milk if needed.

Meringue Icing recipe: adapted from Nigella Lawson's 'Love Buns' from her book 'Feast'.

Ingredients:
- 3 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup (I know this is not available in every country, so maybe using honey is another option)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar (optional)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Instructions:
- Whip the egg whites with an electric mixer until egg whites are stiff and hold their peaks.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix again.


The cakes cooling.


Chocolate cake - buttercream icing - strawberry cake - buttercream icing - butter cake.


1.


2.


3.


Prettyyy! Perhaps I should have gotten a smaller piece, it' so much!


Update: My Neapolitan Cake won the daily poll at AllRecipes.com. It came in first!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thats so pretty!
historygrl said…
Just the picture I needed to find. It's pretty. My husband wants a chocolate, strawberry, vanilla cake for his birthday. I wasn't sure how that would taste. But this looks pretty and I'm going to try and make it. Thanks.

Popular Posts