London Cheesecake

As you could see from the last poll, I was really craving for a cheesecake. Most of you chose the London Cheesecake (I love how cheesecakes have names of different places). It is a recipe by Nigella Lawson, so of course I had high expectations and Nigella did not fail. This wonderful cheesecake has a sour cream topping and it is baked in a water bath. I’m actually not sure what it does to the cheesecake, but it tasted pretty darn good! Thank you for choosing it :) Rating: 5 out of 5.

London Cheesecake recipe: Nigella Lawson – How To Be A Domestic Goddess

Ingredients:
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons or 5 ounces graham crackers
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted or very soft
- 20 ounces cream cheese
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 ½ tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ tablespoons lemon juice

Topping:
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract

Instructions:
- Process the crackers until they are crumbs at this point, then add the butter and pulse again. Line the bottom of the springform pan, pressing the crumbs in with your hands or the back of a spoon. Put the pan in the refrigerator to set, and preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Beat the cream cheese gently until it's smooth, then add the sugar. Beat in the eggs and egg yolks, then finally the vanilla and lemon juice. Put the kettle on.
- Line the outside of the chilled pan with foil so that it covers the bottom and the sides in one large piece, and then do the same again and put it into a roasting pan. This will protect the cheesecake from the water as it is cooked in its water bath.
- Pour the cream cheese filling into the chilled base, and then pour hot water from the recently boiled kettle into the roasting pan around the cheesecake. It should come about halfway up; don't overfill, as it will be difficult to lift up the pan.
- Put the roasting pan into the oven and cook for 50 minutes. It should feel set, but not rigidly so; you just need to feel confident that when you pour the sour cream over, it will sit on the surface and not sink in.
- Whisk together the sour cream, sugar and vanilla for the topping and pour over the cheesecake. Put it back in the oven for a further 10 minutes.
- Take the roasting pan out of the oven, then gingerly remove the springform, unwrap it and stand it on a rack to cool. When it's cooled down completely, put it in the refrigerator, removing it 20 minutes before eating to take the chill off. Unmold and when you cut into it, plunge a knife in hot water first.


The graham crackers in the blender.


The base of the London Cheesecake.


This cream cheese mix is one of the yummiest batters to lick out of the bowl!!! I certainly ate about ¼ cup of it before I used it for the cheesecake.


Right out of the oven.


3 layers of yum!


Hmmmm, I love the sour cream topping :)

Comments

That looks perfect! Not a crack in sight! (That sounds weird to say, Lol)

And ummm I might hafta fight you about who's the biggest bread lover in the world. When I baked that Kugelhopf, I almost ate the WHOLE loaf by myself! I LOVE SWEETENED BREADS!!
Rachel said…
This cheesecake look's delicous, I'm planing on making Nigella's Chocolate cheesecake soon..I'm glad yours turned out well!
Anonymous said…
Looks great! My all time favourite dessert is cheesecake - so this looks very delicious to me :)
Eliana said…
This cheesecake is picture perfect. how did you get it to not crack!!! I have this book at home so I will have to make this soon as it sounds great.
Berri! said…
You've made a great job! I have the book but I haven't tried this recipe. I'd love to know if the cookie crust is still crunchy after cooking. Thanks!
Paris Pastry said…
@Berri! Thanks! Not exactly crunchy. If you're looking for a crunchy crust, I recommend this recipe: http://parispastry.blogspot.com/2010/11/thanksgiving-dessert-chocolate-peanut.html

Popular Posts