Chocolate Croissants

Okay, I cheated ... They're "cheat chocolate croissants". The pastry is already made, so it's more of an assembling task than actually cooking. But these are for mornings, and no one will get up at 3 am just to make some croissant dough. Most people will, however, buy a packet of puff pastry at the grocery store and make something quick and delicious with it on a special morning. So that's what I did today. I was feeling home-sick, being away from Paris so long, so I made a typical Parisian breakfast; a petit déjeuner. A croissant or two, a café au lait, and some fresh Summer berries made my day morning! Rating: 5 out of 5.

Chocolate Croissants recipe: Nigella Lawson - Express

Ingredients:
- 1 (13-ounce) packet ready rolled butter puff pastry (I actually used croissant dough)
- 1 (100-gram) chocolate bar (milk or dark depending on taste)
- 1 egg beaten (I always add a teaspoon of sugar; a tip from Pierre Hermé)

Instructions:
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. (I heated mine at 375 because that's what the directions of the dough recommended)
- Unfurl the sheet of pastry and then cut it into 6 squares. Cut each square diagonally to give 2 triangles (they will appear quite small). Put the triangle with the wider part facing you and the point away from you.
- Break off small pieces of chocolate (approx. 1cm/half inch) to place about 2cm/¾-inch up from the wide end nearest you. Then carefully roll from that chocolate loaded end towards the point of the triangle. You should now have something resembling a straight croissant, seal it slightly with your fingertips and curl it around into a crescent.
- Place the chocolate croissants on a lined baking tray and paint with the beaten egg. Bake for 15 minutes until golden and puffy and exuberantly, if miniaturely, croissant-like.


All-in-all these took about 30 minutes to make.
Can't beat that!



I used my very new, very expensive bar of Valrhona chocolate for these croissants. I paid 4,95 euros ($6.05) for 250 grams!


Most pastry chefs recommend Valrhona chocolate.
Was it worth it? Absolutely.


I live for breakfasts like these.


I never get tired of oozing, melted chocolate!


My inspiration:


Oh, and to see Nigella Lawson make these click here!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh, I am soooo making these! Puff pastry? Too easy! Now if only I could have that terrace and view! xo
Lucie said…
These look so yummy! Who would say no to croissants with Valrhona? Mmm! About the cheesecake crust on my post, I actually think mixing the graham crack crusts with softened and not melted butter makes a huge (positive) difference in the texture of the crust!
highheeledlife said…
You are so creative! I love this idea!!! beautiful images - I could smell the freshly baked croissants and the hint of chocolate. mmmmm. HHL
Vær våken said…
I never get tired of oozing melted chocolate either! Sigh!!!!!! Have a great weekend!

Kristin xo
Lilacandgrey said…
I just watched "I's complicated" this week for the first time, and I have been craving chocolate croissants ever since!! Have you seen that movie?

<3 cara
I'maNolaGirl said…
Ok, I am going to have to make these for our Fourth of July guests! I bet they're tasty and they look like they took forever to make. But you're helpful pictures make them seem very doable!
Eliana said…
Hey - puff pastry is there for a reason. To use it! These look perfect.
Ingrid_3Bs said…
LOL, I'm okay with cheating. :)
~ingrid
You are amazing.... these look so yum and I use puff pastry as well! I don't really think its cheating.... I call it being time effective! I think yours would be nicer than NIgella's! Have a lovely Friday!
Frances
Chocolate croissants...my favorite thing!!! Thank you so much for this recipe. Sounds great to me! Someone from another blog just asked me if I knew of a recipe for this! What a coincidence. I will direct them to here!
Chele said…
Using ready made pastry isn't cheating in my book - it is an effective time savinf measure ;0)
And when they have chocolate in them nobody will mind if the pastry is homemade or not lol
A Bowl Of Mush said…
Who knew you could bring Paris home so easily!? I am craving these so badly now!

They look incredibly delicious!
Vær våken said…
I had chocolate croissants today in Oslo and yes, they tasted delicious!!!!!!!!! XO
Kori said…
These are my favorite! What a great, easy recipe honey! Thanks. I am so glad you got a chance to visit the other day. Thanks for the compliment on my new background. Hope you are having a great summer! Kori xoxo
wonderful and easy recipe! I think I will be trying it shortly...yummy!!
Sugar Crawler said…
i made this but got disappointed by the result, maybe it was the puff pastry.. not the quality puff pastry.
when i was in paris, i had chocolate croissant/pain au chocolat all day everyday. i got them from paul's :p
Lot-O-Choc said…
Oh wowww that picture of the oozing chocolate out of the croissant looks so good!
Yum!!
yes- i will be making these soon. they look soooo good! i love the tip of adding sugar to the beaten egg. perfect!!

i love, love your blog!!

www.aspiringkennedy.com
Moon said…
I'm gonna surprise my husband with this for breakfast this weekend! Good (and fast!) idea!
Nachiketa said…
so so so very tempting to be viewing this arround lunch time.... Drool......
This now tops my list of 'To-Bake'

cheers,
The Variable, Crazy Over Desserts - Nachiketa
Catch me on facebook @ Crazy Over Desserts
apparentlyjessy said…
Oh wow! These look so delicious! If only I could join you in Paris for breakfast to eat one of these! Yummo!
Sweet Freak said…
Nice call on the Valrhona!
try these tonight, they worked fabulously. i want to congratulate you because your method of rolling is way better than nigella's! hope you don't mind but i gave a bit of a shout out to you on my blog :)
Heather said…
I'd love to stop by for breakfast! The croissants look absolutely beautiful.
GrandeMarine said…
That look good!!!
But just a thing, you can never find chocolate croissant in Paris or in France, only "pain au chocolat" or "Croissant au beurre" not a mix of thos two things!!
xoxo
Paris Pastry said…
@GrandeMarine: That's true. I thought it would be fun to mix a croisant and a pain au chocolate together!
photohogger said…
OMG!
I think I just died and went to heaven...so lovely!

Beautiful blog you have here!

-photohogger

Popular Posts